Thursday, January 16, 2014

Maternity Moments: Fashion Faves

Once I announced my pregnancy last summer and my bump emerged (which was pretty fast considering there are two hiding in there), I was excited to check out some more comfortable maternity clothes. I could not button up my jeans past 11 weeks and was looking forward to outfits that hugged my bump, as opposed to having material drifting aimlessly around my stomach.

I didn’t want to buy a total new wardrobe, but knew that I needed a host of good basics, including some great dresses to wear to press events for work and other more formal occasions and some great pants and tops to alternate for everyday running around. Here are some of my fave picks that I’m rotating:

image

My best buy has probably been Belly’s wrap dress in a deep navy. Made in Canada, it provides enough coverage up top thanks to a built-in camisole panel (bonus for those of us who already had big busts to contend with before getting knocked up!), and the fabric moves so nicely when you walk. I feel very Kate Middleton –esque when I wear it and chose it for my midway preggo appearance on The Marilyn Denis Show.

 

image

My second fave pick I also picked up from Belly, but was designed by popular maternity make Isabella Oliver. Their ruched maternity T dress in black takes me from day to night easily.  The length can be adjusted depending on how you arrange the ruching on the sides which is a perk. Paired with a statement necklace and tights it is my go to and I have a feeling I’ll be wearing it post-babies as well!

 

image

My fave bottom besides your typical black legging, has been Jules and Jim’s jeggings. I could not find an actual pair of maternity jeans that were comfortable or fit me properly, and these jeggings that I bought at Kick Maternity at least give me the look of denim but with the comfort of a soft legging and belly panel.

 

image

Honourable mention goes to the affordable basic Ts that I am living in, including my BumpStart Long Sleeve Scoop Necks from Motherhood Maternity and Liz Lange Ts from Target. Layered over leggings, they are long enough to cover my bump even in my final weeks and have just the right amount of stretch. Plus the price is more than right – how can you argue when T shirts come in packs?

No comments: