Monday, January 13, 2014

Project Glam Kitchen: The Sink

My preference to stick with as much white and brass material as possible in my kitchen has been well documented in previous posts, and this mindset came into play again when it came to choosing my kitchen sink.

image

These days you can be pretty creative with your sink choices and go beyond your typical stainless steel, carving them out of the same solid surface as your countertop or choosing an interesting metal like hammered copper. (check out the buying guide on styleathome.com for a breakdown of more options and their pros and cons)

image

I decided to go with cast iron for its bright glossy white finish and because I knew it would be a durable material that would not chip or crack over time if purchased from the right company. What made my search for a cast iron sink a touch trickier was that I was looking for a sink that could be installed in a more contemporary undermount application, instead of the traditional country look that has an exposed apron.

image

I was also looking for a sink that had a partition of some sort in it so I could have two bowls to better organize clean up or stash some drying dishes or pots if I didn’t want them sitting out on the counter. The battle of a double versus single kitchen sink is a “divided” one in the design world but more often than not, the kitchens I have styled for the magazine go the single bowl route. Defenders of the single sink love their clean look and the fact that they can soak big pots and pans easily, which was also important to me, so I was hoping to find a good compromise.

image

Kohler’s Iron/Tones Smart Divide double-bowl kitchen sink was the perfect solution because it was not only made of durable cast iron with a lifetime warranty, but the size of the two bowls perfectly suited my needs, with the larger main bowl being big enough to easily soak a large pot and the smaller one being just the right size to hold other dishes or a smaller pot. The height of the divider is also not as tall as the sink itself, so you can fill the entire sink when required to soak a larger item that can then rest over the short partition.

image

The icing on the cake was the coordinating Kohler brushed gold drains that matched my faucet perfectly (I think unfortunately the brushed finish has since been discontinued, but polished brass and brushed bronze are still available.)

(Top photo: Stacey Brandford)

No comments: