This year champagne is off limits, so here is an alternative from Miss Martha that has the same colouration and festive spirit, without the alcohol.
For Ginger Syrup:
- Place 2 cups of sugar, 1 six-inch piece of fresh ginger finely diced, and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook about 1 hour, until ginger flavor is quite strong. Let cool and strain before using.
- 1/4 cup Ginger Syrup
- 4 1/2 cups sparkling apple cider (make sure it is pasteurized)
- 6 cinnamon sticks
- 6 pieces crystallized ginger
- Place 2 tablespoons ginger syrup in each of six glasses.
- Fill glasses with ice cubes, pour in cider, and stir to combine.
- Garnish with cinnamonsticks and fresh ginger, and serve.