Monday, February 11, 2008

Cow Hides

According to Domino, zebra rugs are super trendy.

Trendy can be fun, but when it comes to outfitting your home, I don't think it's such a bad thing to stray from the pack and do your own thing. For me that meant looking to Northern Ontario, rather than the safari.

A traditional black and white cow hide has the same graphic punch as zebra, but it's a little more rustic and less contemporary than it's jungle-cousin.

image

            image

 

The varied pattern of the animal gives each hide its own unique character.

Some hides have the animal's brand etched into the skin but that's a little too much for me- I prefer clean black and white and not to be reminded that it was a living thing.

 

 

image

 

 

I have one in my bedroom to warm up the cold attic space and ground my bed on the weathered hardwood.

 

I got my hide at ELTE, an amazing design showroom here in Toronto.

 

image

 

I also have the cowhide IKEA pouf in my room. (Cow hide at IKEA? I know, I was surprised too!)

 

When I undress my bed it's where I place my beloved decorative pillows and shams.

 

 


I justified my cowhide purchases by figuring that once I move into my own place I will use the rug and the pouf in my living room.

PS- Choosing to use a hide in a design scheme can be an ethical dilemma for animal lovers like me, especially considering I grew up with cows as my favourite animal. I do eat meat though and wear leather, so I figured "why not?" and my conscience took a back seat to my attraction to the skin. Sorry PETA!

3 comments:

SGM said...

Is that really your bedroom?! It's amazing! Holy SMOKES, you are going on my blogroll.

Unknown said...

Nice Pics! Also I want to suggest a great website about decor and home design. There are cool products and free worldwide shipping. Also tips about how to clean and care Cowhide Rugs

Anonymous said...

It was extremely interesting for me to read the blog. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. BTW, try to add some pics :).